Top-ads

Friends In My Head: Sy Smith

By | 10:15 PM 1 comment

In the past month and a half, I have developed an unhealthy attachment to Michael Jackson. An attachment that was utterly nonexistent prior to 6.25.09. I'm sure my bandwagon mourning is not unusual, but I'm an extremist and every sense. So any sort of obsession, especially those that are socially acceptable, is a slippery slop. There are, no doubt, other reasons why the loss of The King of Pop so hard (the most obvious being the recent death of my father at 50), but maybe I'll save that for a later post (subscribe please!).

I really don't know where I am in the stages of grief, but If I had to guess, I'd say I'm somewhere in between complete obsession and self-loathing. Damnit, Michael. I wish I knew how to quit you. I tried to ween myself, but the fount of Michael Jackson mania is everflowing. Withdrawal at this point would be unbearable. Plus I just ordered Jackson Family Values on Amazon, and I know that's just going to lead me further down into my black hole of fanaticism. Anyways, my constant trolling for any and every MJ tribute and video on the internet brought me to my newest friend in my head. Meet Sy Smith.

Soul songstress Sy gets the honor (wait that was too obnoxious. Distinction, maybe?). I admit that sometimes I am a bit embarrassed by my rather transparent musical tastes. Though they are vast and varied, they usually have one thing in common: undeniable mainstream appeal. I, of course, don't like everything on the radio, but the majority of my favorites have at one point have enjoyed some airplay. no music snobbery here. Much like your friendly, neighborhood crackhead, I'm just looking for a hit. That's all I ask.

I digress for the 50/11th time. My neverending search for my new favorite forgotten hit means I often overlook a ton of incredible underground artists like Sy. I came across this video, and I knew Sy and I were meant to be bff. Yeah it's creepy, but I don't care. Watch the video, and you'll understand why we're destined to become friends.
>

FYI "Show You The Way To Go" is one of my favorite aural discoveries since Michael's death. It even made it onto my imeem Old School Jams Playlist.

Who She Is...

  • Name: Sy Smith
  • Birthday:October 7, 1978
  • Hometown: New York, NY

Why We're Friends...

  • She wears black pleather leggings even though she's not stick thin. Betch is fearless. Check the afro, honey.
  • She's a drama queen. In my world, that's not a pejorative. Leave the Xanax at home if you want to role with me.
  • She's insanely talented. I believe that If you want to be great, you've got to surround yourself with with greatness.

Newer Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Don't know who wrote on Wiki that my b-day is in Oct. But I am an Aquarius to the bone. Feb 18.

    And now, I'm not just your friend in your head. I'm your friend in Syberspace... Thanks for the kind words.

    Peace,
    Sy

    ReplyDelete